What Are the Uses of Pyrroloquinoline Quinone?
Hello, and welcome to the first official Nascent Health blog! Here at Nascent Health, our mission is to deliver the highest quality food and drug supplements available to the food and beverage industry. The quality of food preservatives and additives deserves just as much attention as the quality of the food itself, and in today’s blog, we are going to be listing some facts about one of our key food additives: Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ). PQQ is a micronutrient added to a wide variety of foods and has been proven beneficial in many areas of human health. PQQ occurs naturally in many leafy greens and legumes, and is found in high concentrations in breast milk. To learn more about PQQ and its benefits, continue reading below.
PQQ Has Many Benefits For Those Who Ingest
PQQ is technically a cofactor, which simply means that it helps enzymes in the body accomplish their tasks more efficiently. This, in turn, helps with the transfer of electrons in the human body which can have a host of benefits relating to the production of energy. Below, we have listed just a few of the benefits that PQQ has for individuals.
- PQQ Helps in the Production of Mitochondria: Pyrroloquinoline quinone, when present in a diet, is shown to help create new mitochondria which, we all know, are the powerhouse of the cell. Compounds that help with the creation of mitochondria are linked to increased, longevity, better utilization of energy, and helps to protect from free radicals found in the body.
- PQQ Improves Memory: In tests, PQQ was shown to trigger the DNA reading protein CREB (CAMP responsive element binding protein 1), which has been shown to play a pivotal role in the growth and expression of genes. As a result, PQQ has been shown to improve memory and reverse the effects of oxidative stress, which has been shown to cause heart problems, disorders of the brain, and cancer.
- PQQ is a Neuroprotective: In recent studies, PQQ has been shown to have neuroprotective properties that help in the protection of memory and cognition in older people. This is interesting because PQQ is currently being studied as a way to treat Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other brain ailments that typically affect the elderly.
- PQQ Helps With Fatigue, Mood, and Sleep: Pyrroloquinoline quinine has been shown to help people fall asleep and to improve the quality of sleep that people experience. In one study, it was found that people who ingested 20mg PQQ for 8 weeks who had previous fatigue or sleep-impairing disorders, saw significant improvement in both sleep duration and quality.
- PQQ Helps Decrease Insulin Resistance: Because of its effects on mitochondrial biogenesis, PQQ has been shown to alleviate fat-induced insulin resistance. It has this effect because increased mitochondrial growth in the muscles is perceived by the body as being akin to exercising.
- PQQ Protects the Heart: PQQ has been shown in animal models to effectively reduce the size of damaged areas in the heart that developed as a result of a heart attack. It was found that this healing effect occurred whether or not it was administered before or after the heart attack, suggesting that it could be beneficial to treat recent heart sufferers within the first few hours after the attack with PQQ to help prevent permanent heart damage.
- PQQ Improves Brain Function: Some studies have found that PQQ helps stimulate the production and release of nerve growth factors which, in turn, appears to improve the memory function of humans. PQQ was also found to help with production of Schwann cells which are responsible for the production of the myelin sheath around the axons of neurons.
- PQQ Decreases Inflammation: It was found that people who took 20 mg of PQQ a day saw significant decreases in the levels of C-reactive protein and IL-6, a main cytokine related to inflammation when released by the immune cells of the body.
We hope that this blog has helped to give you more information about what PQQ is and why it is an important food supplement. Our PQQ supplement, PureQQ, offers the highest purity of its kind and is the only PQQ supplement that has been FDA GRAS approved for use in food and beverages. To learn more, visit our website today.